The general aims of primary education are:
- To enable the child to live a full life as a child and to realize his or her potential as a unique individual.
- To enable the child to develop as a social being through living and co-operating with others and so contribute to the good of society.
- To prepare the child for a continuum of learning.
- The primary curriculum aims to provide a broad learning experience and encourages a rich variety of approaches to teaching and learning that cater for the different needs of individual children. The revised curriculum is designed to nurture the child in all dimensions of his or her
life—spiritual, moral, cognitive, emotional, imaginative, aesthetic, social and physical.
The curriculum is divided into the following key areas :
- Language – Hindi, Tamizh and English.
- Social, Environment and Scientific Education.
- Arts Education (including Dance, Music and Drama)
- Physical Education.
- Personal and Health Education.